There’s nothing in the world like good Italian food. Can I get an amen? It’s almost impossible to do good Italian when you’re on a dairy free diet. When we visited Carraba’s (which has a fantastic gluten free menu) a few years ago, we ordered the Minestrone soup. Ok, so it’s not dairy free, but two of my kids are ok with dairy on special occasions. When they tasted it I thought they would turn their noses up in disgust because of all the vegetables that were in it, but instead they asked for more! That’s a great moment for a mom to see her kids asking for more veggies! You won’t be surprised to hear that I came home to try a dairy free version of this delectable and heart healthy soup. If you tolerate dairy, then by all means, add some parmesan cheese to this, but if you’re like 75% of Americans who are lactose intolerant, than do without and you will still enjoy a great bowl of Italian deliciousness!
Classic Minestrone Soup: Gluten and Dairy Free with Vegan Option
- (0 /5)
- (0 Rating)
- 3 qts. Best Ever Chicken Stock or Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Stock, or Vegetable broth (if vegan)
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped onions, sautéed
- 2 cups chopped red potatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 to 4 cups of Gluten Free Noodles (we us penne, elbows or fusilli)
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 cloves garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Savory or Thyme
- 1/2 jar Organic spaghetti sauce
- 1. After preparing your Best Ever Chicken Stock, pour 3 qts. into a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- 2. Add chopped celery, chopped or grated carrots, cabbage and chopped potatoes to the broth and bring to a boil.
- 3. Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- 4. Add the kidney beans and garbanzo beans and continue to simmer 10 minutes more.
- 5. When soup is done, add 3 cups of your favorite Gluten Free noodles. Garnish with nutritional yeast to taste for added cheesy flavor.
- 6. Serve warm and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze leftovers.
Read more about this chef..